Groups and ClassesTake The Journey
Being a disciple is a Christ-centered, Holy Spirit-empowered, life-long process of growing in God.
Take the journey with us. Find your place within the Westmore Family.
Currently, under the “yellow phase” of our safe reopening, we offer a hybrid of in-person gatherings and via Zoom. Please take note below for specific groups’ locations and virtual options.
Sunday Groups (F.O.C.U.S.)
Created in the image of God, we are meant to have meaningful relationships. We “do church” on Sunday nights differently than on Sunday mornings. In smaller groups, there is room for personal ministry, close relationships, and deeper spiritual growth. We invite you to join one of our F.O.C.U.S. groups and Find your calling and grow deeper in the Word, Own your spiritual gifts and your story, build Covenant relationships with other Christ-followers, Understand your destiny and your place in this world, and be Sent out to Serve.
FOCUS Groups, Sundays, 6:00 – 7:15 p.m. Some groups offer a virtual option. Email the Discipleship Pastor to obtain the link: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bridge Builders/ Legacy View Room (2nd floor)/ Pastor Kelvin & Debbie Page, Dennis & Donna Anderson// This group is an intergenerational community led by Pastor Kelvin Page, which seeks to connect individuals from all of life’s stages, as well as bridge spiritual principles with real-life situations through revisiting the Sunday morning message and how it applies to present culture. Group discussions and regular times of fellowship make this group a great place to connect with the Westmore Family.
- Marriage Matters/ Room 118 (1st floor)/ Robert & Teresa Green// This is a diverse group of couples sharing life experiences together. Couples of all ages are welcome to join our discipleship journey of studying God’s word, have fun and fellowship, and, of course, food!
- Thrive/ Room 219 (2nd floor)/ Dan & Jennifer Walker// This interactive inter-generational coed group is open to both singles and couples and discusses difficult questions and issues relevant to healthy Godly relationships. Participants often enjoy food and fellowship. The group meets in the current Choir Room at Wolfe Drive campus, sometimes at the Walkers’ home or outdoors.
- Berean/ Overview Room (2nd floor)/ Henry & Betty Smith (4:30 p.m.)// This group is made up of various age groups meeting for in-depth Bible study and discussion of current issues.
- Crossroads/ The Prayer Room (3rd floor)/ Rickie & Jean Moore// This group is a cross-generational class of young people, singles, married couples, middle age and senior adults who gather to look to the light of Scripture and listen to the voice of the Spirit, often with a prophetic edge.
- Millennial Marriage/ Various Homes, Daniel & Casey Clanton// Millennial couples with small children gathering monthly for fellowship, food, and fun. Contact email@example.com for monthly information and location.
- Sojourners/ Room 219/ Paul & Tannis Duncan, Virgil & Pat Allen, Robert & Lisa Herrin// Bible-based and relevant to a rapidly changing world and challenging culture, this class will offer a small group, interactive approach and will help you to think through and discover the deeper purposes and meaning of your “true calling” in life. This group will resume meeting in January 2021.
- New Life/ Room 118/ Dan Black// This group follows Pathway Press Curriculum written by Dr. Black with an interactive, conversational style of teaching. This group will resume meeting in January 2021. You can obtain the curriculum by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday Groups (L.E.A.D.S.)
We are committed to building up people through sound Biblical teaching. Making disciples is our mission. As passionate followers of Jesus Christ, we must make disciples who make disciples. “Becoming the one who LEADS” is our theme. Changing bi-monthly, our Wednesday night LEADS classes have been designed to equip us, the members of the Body of Christ (Eph. 4:12-13), to be leaders the Holy Spirit desires and empowers us to be. The L.E.A.D.S. acronym covers the five categories that we follow in our course selections: Leadership (1st Cor. 11:1), Evangelism (Isaiah 52:7), Abundant living (John 10:10), Discipleship (Matthew 16:24), and Service (Matthew 20:26-28).
L.E.A.D.S. Classes – SESSION 5
August 2020, Wednesdays, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. (unless otherwise indicated).
WESTMORE TALKS – Join us every Wednesday evening throughout August for interesting dicussions with panels of specialists and experts on relevant topic, lead by Pastor Page. Tune in to our Westmore Church of God facebook page to watch it live on Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m.
FINANCIAL PEACE – Never again will you have to question if you’re doing the right thing with your money. Take control of your finances and your life today. Almost 6 million people have discovered the right way to manage money. You’ll learn the timeless principles of paying off debt, saving for emergencies, and investing in your future. Westmore has invested into a Ramsey+ licence for it’s members – a brand new approach to financial training for individuals and families. We are offering an in-person class experience to help you navigate through the program and make a lasting chnage in yoru life. Class will begin on September 2, at 6:30 p.m. and will be facilitted by Mike Watkins. Sign up by emailing email@example.com.
WOMEN’S BIBLE STUDY: Better – A Study of Hebrews – In this 10-session, verse-by-verse study of the Book of Hebrews, Jen Wilkin explores how God “provided something better for us” in the person of Jesus Christ (Heb. 11:40). Through stories of Old Testament heroes and practices, the author of Hebrews demonstrates how the new covenant is superior to the old and how Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of every promise. Explore familiar verses in context of the entire Bible, learning how to place your hope and faith in Christ alone. Led by Jennifer Cornett. This group is currently meeting in-person (Overview Room) and via Zoom. Email us for the Zoom link to connect: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAVEMAN’S CLUB – Caveman’s Club, aka Men’s Ministry, is for men (ages 18 –80+) who are ready for an adventurous quest to reclaim authentic, biblical manhood. Join us on Wednesday nights 6:30-7:30 p.m. for a study of the book of Romans. Fitting in and belonging are not synonyms. We desperately want to belong…to something bigger than ourselves…and we want this so badly that we will do whatever it takes to achieve this…by trying to fit in. But fitting in, is just a hollow substitute for belonging, and actually erodes true belonging. Come to Caveman’s Club to find out how to belong/ Robert Green. This group is currently meeting in person at the Las Margaritas Restaurant. Email Robert Green for updates on Caveman’s Club’s schedule: email@example.com.
I DO HARD THINGS (Tuesdays, 7:00 PM) –What if, instead of feeling paralyzed by fear and pain, you had a plan of action to climb out of your suffering and learned to dream again? You are going to face HARD THINGS in life. Things that take your breath away. Those things you didn’t expect, the pain you didn’t anticipate, the moment you didn’t see coming. What do you do when you face these HARD THINGS? Taken from the story of Joseph, the man who conquered the unthinkable in his own life and learned to see God’s purpose in his painful path. This study is designed for those who are passionately obsessed with learning how to live their life the way God intended. No longer willing to settle for a life of debilitating shame and crippling fear. If you are convinced there’s more, this study is for you! Doing HARD THINGS isn’t always something you’ve been taught, but it’s something you were made to do. If you’re willing to take the risk and find the courage to change, this 15-day study is designed for your transformation!/Led by Vera Voznyuk.This group is currently meeting in-person and via Zoom. Email us for the link to connect: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TOTAL FORGIVENESS – One of the core messages of the gospel is that of total forgiveness…not only that we can be totally forgiven by God, but also that we must, in turn, totally forgive others. Our culture is bound up in bitterness, resentment, and wallowing in wounds inflicted upon us by others, wounds that we all too easily accept and even cling to! This revised and updated best seller by R.T Kendall lovingly challenges believers to look within and root out those hidden and hardened places where subtle resentments and areas of un-forgiveness have been allowed to remain/ Jack Morris. Class will resume meeting after the quarantine is lifted.
MISSION’S PRAYER MOVEMENT – Join Westmore members and attendees who are passionate about outreach and the Gospel going forth across the street and across the sea for weekly meetings, which include hearing from individuals and teams involved in short-term and long-term missions and specific prayer times for the nations/ Grant & Janice McClung. Class will resume meeting after the quarantine is lifted.
GROWING IN GRACE – This group journeys through the Scriptures by using the Word of God itself. No curriculum is needed to be a part of this interactive Bible study/ Dewayne Thompson. This group is on summer break and will resume meeting after the Labor Day.
GRIEFSHARE (Coming Up!) – This is a friendly, caring group of people who will walk alongside you through one of life’s most difficult experiences. You do not have to go through the grieving process alone. You will gain access to valuable GriefShare resources to help you recover from your loss and look forward to rebuilding your life. Contact Ginger if you’d like to join one of these groups: email@example.com. Ginger Robinson / U-Turn Institute. More info is forthcoming.
At Westmore we believe that strong marriages are the foundation of healthy churches and communities with Christ at the center of the union. We have developed groups to help you grow and strengthen your marriage and to connect with other married couple.
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24)
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” (Ephesians 4:12)
- Marriage Matters
This group is for all married couples who seek to strengthen their marriage, grow in the Lord together, and build Christ-like relationships in the church. Marriage takes a fierce tenacity that never gives up and never gives in. With Christ as the center of your marriage, couples measure everything against what Jesus did for us. For more information, contact Robert Green at firstname.lastname@example.org or Teresa Green at email@example.com. Contact us for the Zoom link: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Millennial Marriage
If you are a young couple with little children, this group is a perfect way for you to connect with other couples in a similar place in life and discipleship journey. You will build great Christ-centered friendships with other parents and learn how to have a strong marriage, manage your home and work schedules, while raising strong followers of Jesus. The group meets several times per month on a flexible schedule in a comfort of a home. Contact Daniel and Casey Clanton at email@example.com. This group is not meeting during the COVID-19 quarantine.
- Marriage Resources:
If you are in a season where you find yourself journeying solo, know that God has a great purpose for you. If you are looking to connect and grow with others in a similar place in life, check out the list of groups we have to offer by clicking “See Groups” below.
- Singles (30’s + 40’s)
More information is coming soon…
- Classic Singles (50 + Singles)
If you are over 50 y.o., single, and is looking for a community of others in the same place in life, join the Classic Singles for monthly fellowships and spontaneous gatherings. Contact Kathy Christiansen to be added to the group: 423-599-9456.
Westmore Interest Groups are just that – groups of people with a common interest, who enjoy fellowship and fun while exercising a skill or a hobby they are passionate about. We are created by God to be social and to be on a journey with others. If you are looking to connect with other people over a special interest, check out the list of groups we have to offer by clicking “Find Out Moore” below.
- Motorcycle Riding Group
Join seasoned bike riders for times of riding together, community, and prayer for your needs. Your life will be enriched by the fellowship flowing out of this Godly group of people. Group can adjust the schedule in the event of the inclement weather. Contact Randle Weeks at firstname.lastname@example.org or 256-962-3838.
- Women’s Fitness Group
Join a group of godly women on a journey of taking care of their health and fitness. Regardless of your fitness background, you will enjoy the fellowship of women who will encourage and support each other while have fun doing workouts together (workouts can be modified for beginners). All you will need is a yoga mat and a set of 3-10 lbs weights, depending on the difficulty level that’s right for you. Group will meet on Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Element Building. Contact Joy Gilliland about joining this group: email@example.com. Group is currently on a break – please check back soon for updated details.
- Bicycle Cycling Group
If you like to ride bicycles, join this bicycle riding group offered three times a week, once for each level of difficulty: one day of the week for beginners, another day for moderate difficulty riders, and the third time for advanced riders. Group can adjust the schedule in the event of the inclement weather. Contact Stephen Hattabaugh at Stephen837@att.net.
Prayer Groups & Events
Prayer is foundational to our faith and our church family. Jesus said that His house is to be called “a house of prayer” (Matthew 21:12a, Isaiah 56:7). Westmore has a variety of prayer opportunities to get involved in from praying for the needs to praying for our Nation and the world.
Westmore Prayer Groups
- ASK Network – coed gathering on Tuesdays at 4:00 p.m. to pray for the nations and for God to use us in doing what He calls us to do. This group is currently praying via Conference Call. To participate, dial 515-604-9094, and enter access code 136566684#.
- Retired Ministers Prayer Group – Retired ministers who attend Westmore gather weekly to intercede for our pastor and leadership, the needs of the church and the move of the Holy Spirit. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m., Home of Dr. James Beaty. Not meeting physically during COVID-19.
- Men’s Morning Prayer – Westmore men gather to pray at 6:00 a.m. every Wednesday and enjoy breakfast together afterward. The group is lead by Greg Johnson and meets on Wednesdays, 6:00 a.m., in the Prayer Room
- Missions Prayer Movement – Lead by Grant & Janice McClung, prayer warriors meet weekly to pray for the nations and for the Gospel to go forth to the ends of the earth. Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m., Room 119.
- Prayer Chain – Westmore members committed to praying together 15 minutes per day for families and the needs in the church. For more information about this particular prayer initiative or if you have a prayer need, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building Generations Prayer ( B4TG) – “Building Generations” inter-generational prayer group, which is focused specifically on praying for the vision of Westmore, the Westmore families and needs, for the Great Awakening, for the Global Church and for our Nation. Lead by Pastor Vera Voznyuk, this drop-in style prayer group meets on Thursdays, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. in the Prayer Room (Zoom link available upon request).
- David’s Heart – Lead by Rickie Moore, faithful men gather to pray for the move of God and then have breakfast together prior to the Sunday morning service. Sundays, 7:00 a.m., City Café Restaurant, 25th Street.
- Pastor’s Prayer Partners – Faithful men and women of Westmore partner with Pastor and meet with him every Sunday morning providing intercessory prayer covering for him and congregation. Sundays, 9:00 a.m., Prayer Room.
- The 11th Hour Prayer – new group focusing on praying the names and nature of God over circumstances, praying for revival, for our Church and the needs at hand. Group will be lead by Randle & Hope Weeks and will meet at 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays in the Prayer Room (Zoom link available upon request).
Westmore Prayer Events and Community Involvement
- Called Prayer Meetings
The focus of these prayer meetings changes according to specific burdens of the church, community and/or Nation.
- Prayer Leaders Breakfast
Leaders of prayer groups and Westmore staff gather annually for a time of corporate prayer, fellowship and vision casting over breakfast.
- Annual School Prayer
A concert prayer of the entire church for students, educators, and school administrators is offered on a Sunday morning at the beginning of each new school year.
- Seek God for the City
This is a forty-day prayer emphasis before Easter, usually following a specifically designed prayer guide, and sometimes accompanied by a prayer walk.
- National Day of Prayer
Set in order by the President of the United States, Christians gather around the Nation to pray for our country. Westmore takes part in a local prayer effort, held every first Thursday in May.
- Cry Out America
Christians around the U.S. gather on September 11 annually for a concerted prayer effort to intercede for every level of the local and national government and every branch of influence in our society.
- Cleveland NET
This inter-denominational group of intercessors, including those from Westmore, gather in different churches every Friday at noon to pray for that specific church, our community, and Nation.
- See You at the Pole
It is the largest Christian student prayer movement in America. Students gather one morning every year in mid-September at their school flagpole to pray for their schools and their generation.
- Fields of Faith
Hosted by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, this prayer event is a large gathering of students and parents (usually in September), praying for families, schools, coaches, teachers, and the community.
College students from Westmore participate in this prayer group at Lee University and focus on praying for the students, college/university campuses and revival.
For more information on prayer groups and initiatives, contact Pastor Vera Voznyuk at email@example.com.
All Scriptures are God-breathed. We are committed to building people up in God’s Word and encourage them to become well-versed in Scriptures. Journey with us through Scriptures by joining our Community Bible Experience initiatives, reading God’s Word in small groups, or follow a reading plan on your own.
- Community Bible Experience
Scripture is paramount to our Christian walk with Jesus. Join the Westmore Family for the Community Bible Experience in January and February on each year. It is a concerted initiative to help Christ-followers become more versed in the Word of God and form good habits of feasting on it instead of reading sporadically. Follow a reading plan with your own translation of the Bible, then join us in the Sunday night FOCUS groups for discussions.
- How to read the Bible with The Bible Project
The Bible Project is an incredible resource for you and your family. Everyone can participate! It is easy to learn the Word of God with the animated videos and down-to-earth devotions. https://www.rightnowmedia.org/Content/Series/240001
- Listen to the Bible
Listen to Scriptures narrated to you in the convenience of your own device – a smartphone, a tablet, or a computer.
- Read the Bible in a Year
Regular Bible reading is one of the most important habits you can develop. This daily Bible reading plan will give you all the benefits of a steady diet of God’s Word as you read through Scripture in a year. The whole Bible is arranged into 365 daily readings, including an Old Testament passage, a New Testament passage, and a Psalm or Proverb for each day.
- The Bible App for Kids
Dowload a free Bible app for children to help them learn Scriptures in a kid-friendly interactive playful way.
RightNow Media has studies for small groups, families, students, leadership development, and much more. The content comes from over 250 top Christian publishers and ministries. Any Westmore member can access this video-based Bible study library for small groups and personal devotions.